To Big Ten or to not Big Ten that is the Question

Monday, November 19, 2007

the who, what, where, and why

In my final segment of the who, what, where and why, i interviewed Ray from Orange Hoops.

Why did you decide to start a blog about Syracuse sports?
Ray-I've been doing historical research on Syracuse basketball for several year, and have had my site www.orangehoops.org for 3+ years now. During much of my research effort it sparks some commentary in my head, and I saw a lot of comparisons of the past with the present... so I figured I might as well write what I was thinking. It kind of went from there.

What were your first memories of a Syracuse sporting event?
Ray-I'd have to say watching the Bouie & Louie era end with their loss to Iowa in the 1980 NCAA tournament. I still remember the technicals on Boeheim.

What was your most heart breaking syracuse moment?
Ray- Tying Auburn in the 1988 Sugar Bowl would problem be the most heartbreaking. Surprisingly, the 1987 National Championship loss with the Keith Smart daggar through the heart was not nearly as heartbreaking to me as you would expect; I knew even then that the guys on that squad would make a couple more runs at that title. The most heartbreaking moment in Syracuse basketball was probably the 1989 loss to Illinois in the Elite Eight. I thought that was the best team Syracuse ever had, and I thought for sure they would be in the title game.

What was your happiest Syracuse moment?
Ray-The 2003 Championship. Two plus decades of demons being washed away in one magic moment! There have been several other great moments over the years, in fact far too many to list, but that one was the best of them all.

Daryl Gross came into Syracuse with grand visions of national championships, was he blowing smoke up aour ass or is he smoking something really expensive?
Ray- Gross knows all about how to make $$$$, and very little about how to build champions. The basketball program is extremely lucky that Boeheim is untouchable by Gross and Cantor, otherwise Syracuse basketball could be mirroring SU Football and Lacrosse.

Who would win Notre Dame or Syracuse in the "I suck as a coach bowl"?
Ray- As much as I despise the Fighting Irish, Notre Dame would win hands down. I couldn't even begin to predict the score as two totally inept offenses would play two futile defensive efforts. 3-0 would be very tempting, but that would give the defenses far too much credit, and 52-45, would credit the offense too much. How about a forfeit?

Other than your own, what blog do you get out of bed and think I can't wait to see what they wrote next?
Ray-Tough one... for Syracuse sports each has its own strengths / merits that I enjoy. I'd go with Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician, if I had to pick one. In terms of blogs on any content on the web, my favorite is TMQ (Gregg Easterbrook) of ESPN. I love his Tuesday NFL blog.

I would like to thank all my fellow bloggers once more for taking the time out of their busy days. Thank you all, and I hope I have shed some insight on our lives.

Go Orange!!!


Ballhype: hype it up!

No comments: